Artist Feature v2: Dawn Derman


Name and Shop:
Dawn Derman from Redbird Cottage Art  
I have been painting for about 1 1/2  years.

Where did you study? (if applicable)
I took a couple of classes in watercolor about 2 years ago, and have been painting ever since.  I love the unpredictability of working with watercolor - it seems to have a mind of it's own.  I love to pick up a brush and know that I can create something unique each time I paint.

How long have you been painting/drawing/illustrating/etc?
I began taking my creative life seriously about 6 years ago - a rather late start in life.  At the time I was working in fiber arts and creating primitive hooked rugs.  I sold and exhibited at a gallery in Wisconsin, where we were living at the time.  I discovered etsy then and opened my first shop.

What inspires you to create art?
The natural world surrounding us is my greatest inspiration.  I feel drawn to call attention to the wonders of God's beautiful creation.

Which of your artwork pieces is your favorite?

Are there any artists you look up to?
I have always been attracted to the work of the great impressionists - Monet, Pissarro, Manet, Cezanne, Cassatt.  I also love the works of Edward Hopper, Andrew Wyeth, Carl Larsson,and Joseph Zbukvic.



What's the best thing about being an artist?

The best thing about being an artist is the creative experience itself.  I become completely absorbed and focused on the experience.  I am always so grateful when a painting works and becomes something beautiful - it feels like such a gift to have that experience.

What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
My goal is to live gratefully and generously within that - to share that with anyone who is interested in my work.  I do that by offering my original paintings at a price that is affordable.  I want anyone who finds beauty in my art to be able to enjoy it and feel as though it was created just for them.


I currently offer my paintings in my etsy shop http://www.redbirdcottageart.etsy.com/  and have sold and exhibited at the Kavanagh Gallery and Fine Line Creative Arts Center in St. Charles, IL.

Comments

  1. She's so talented, found you through Curious Damsel, love your blog!

    Tab
    my-cliffnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love your artistic work! I also found you through Curious Damsel - and I am so glad I did!! :)

    Lynzy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Engagement Photos.