Artist Feature v1: Stacie Beers


Name and blog name (if applicable): 
Hi there I'm Stacie of Curious Damsel, nice to meet you.

Tell us a little bit about you:
Hello, I'm Stacie, my corner of the web is Curious Damsel. It is a place for me to express all of my artsy finds, adventures, curious thoughts and photographs. I have a weakness for playful ideas and peculiar things. I am a creative designer, photographer, illustrator and maker of pretty bits and bobs.

I am a conceptual thinker and experimental designer with an open mind and I wear my heart on my sleeve. I have recently moved to Western Australia from the UK and I am loving the sunshine! I like to go for picnics in the park and bicycle rides with my lovely fiancée Bradley. I love going on adventures, swimming and one day i hope to own a 1967 chevy impala. 


Where did you study? (if applicable)
I studied Design and Art Direction at Manchester Metropolitan Art School in the UK. I loved university it was the best time of my life, not only did I have the freedom to design and create whatever I wanted I also met some of the best girls I could ever met there.

How long have you been painting/drawing/illustrating/etc?
Forever!! It was all I ever wanted to do, painting, drawing and designing -- there was no making me do maths! I am not very academic and being dyslexic it was always easy to turn to the creative side where I would make up my own rules.

How did you get started with your art?
It all started with the program photoshop, which my dad got for me when I was 15. I didn't have any models so I used to just take pictures of myself and edit them, I loved it. This then turned into design.

What is your preferred medium?
Oh gosh, I love all mediums. I would probably have to say my computer and CS5 but I would have liked to say paint. I have a 'notebook' vision of sitting on the porch in the morning to paint but I still always turn to my computer to do the final edits.


What inspires you to create art?
Everyday life. Inspiration is all around you, all the time. 

Which of your artwork pieces is your favorite?
I would have to say my 'Down Under handmade concertina book'. I made this handmade publication with Australia in my heart, I find the place fascinating and the their colloquialisms intriguing. Here I have illustrated Australian expressions and proverbs, using photographs from my travels, illustrations, found photography and typography. An arrow identity has been used and the English translation has been printed so that the viewer has to turn the book upside down (and go down under) to read it.


Are there any artists you look up to
Oh yes. I love Lara Jade and Liad Cohen photographers. The Hungry Workshop Letterpress Company, they create amazing pieces and generally ladies who make their dreams of opening their own little shop come true and sell lovely vintage finds and handmades I think these ladies are very inspirational.

What's the best thing about being an artist?
Having an escape. When I feel like i need to get away for a little while, I can turn to drawing or designing and I can disappear into my own little world. Also the people you meet, creatives are the best!

What's the worst thing about being an artist?
Going places. Seeing horrible design (boards, logos, menus etc) and giving your fiancé an ear full about how it could be better. They also get annoyed when you tell them every font name you see.


What advice do you have for aspiring artists?
Never stop dreaming, don't get your head out of the clouds and eat Helvetica for breakfast.



p.s. If you are an artist, and would like to be featured, please email me at blog.teafortwo@gmail.com.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Engagement Photos.